Monday 15 October 2012

Strawberry tart


Yesterday I tried making strawberry tart from scratch, and here's how it looked like:


Been wondering whether I should post the procedures and recipes on this blog, but then I thought I'd just post my experience about this. :lazy person: I didn't take photos while making it too so...:excuses:

I tried making pies and tarts many times before and I never got it right.. Got discouraged so bad and got into a war with pies for almost a year. Then recently I stumbled upon Laura Vitale's youtube videos on pies and tart and it got me re motivated again.

 The hardest part about pies is making the pie crust;
First to get the consistency right when rubbing in the flour and butter, and adding water(some 5-6 tsp) little by little.

Next is the blind baking, I remember trying to make this a year before and not blind baking it correctly.
The result? Well it was horrible.
This time I was patient and did the blind baking correctly. Baking it for 10 minutes or so with an aluminium foil with beans on top of the crust, then another 15-20 without the aluminium foil and beans.
Does that make any sense?

Else the egg custard(which is the filling) isn't that hard to make. Beating egg yolks and sugar, corn flour, then slowly adding scalded milk, and cooking the mixture at low-medium temperature till it starts thickening. When it's thickened, you should let that cool down completely before putting it on the crust.

Last is the decoration/dressing part. I don't know if it is considered as fun or painful. Cutting the strawberries one by one, Ugh. But yea, you can see how organised(not) I am from how I put the strawberries on.

I don't want to discourage you but this tart took my whole Sunday afternoon. It isn't that long, it's my fault, I was procrastinating between the steps and took pauses. + I made 2 other pie bases too.

Anyways, I should thank Laura Vitale who got me motivated again to make pies(I tried her apple pie too lately) and tart.

Here's the link to the video on how she made the pie crust. (The second part of the video is how she makes the pumpkin filling, you can skip that if you want)

How here's the link on the filling for the strawberry tart c:


I can really recommend anyone to check out her videos, which are absolutely easy to follow + she's a nice host(pretty too in my opinion ;p )


Hope you enjoyed reading this post, have a nice day,
Kim


No comments:

Post a Comment